Guardianship Law

Guardianship Las Vegas Lawyers

a guardian and a charge holding hands The guardianship attorneys at Steinberg Law Group handle guardianship Las Vegas law cases for incompetent adults or for the care of minor children by someone other than the biological parents. To become a guardian, the party intending to be the guardian of the minor child or incompetent adult will petition the court to appoint them as guardian. The guardianship of a minor remains under court supervision until the child reaches majority at 18, unless it is terminated. The term “guardian” may also refer to someone who is appointed to care for and/or handle the affairs of a person who is incompetent or incapable of administering his or her affairs. Guardians must not benefit at the expense of those they care for (wards), and in many cases are required to make accountings to the court on a yearly basis. In some courts, a guardian may be reimbursed for attorney fees related to the guardianship. Let the Steinberg Law Group insure that your guardianship law case is handled efficiently and properly. Call for a consultation with one of our experienced guardianship attorneys in Las Vegas today.

Adult Guardianship in Las Vegas

Today, longevity in senior adults has increased the number of guardianship Las Vegas issues. Typically, guardianship for adults is based on the premise of appointed care or management of affairs by a Las Vegas court approved guardian. This is especially true in cases where adults are rendered wards of the state. Many guardians are unprepared for the myriad issues that the affairs of their wards create. Parents, siblings or other adults who have been incapacitated need a guardian who can manage their affairs without expectation of financial benefit in their role of guardian. The issue of guardianship fraud and abuse is a very serious topic that the Court carefully scrutinizes.

Minor Guardianship

Minor Guardianships occur when a parent is using and abusing illegal drugs or is rendered incompetent because of mental illness or physical ailment that prevents caring for the minor child or children. There are two types of Minor Guardianships: voluntary of involuntary. If a parent acknowledges that they have a problem, then they should agree to a voluntary Guardianship, as this is much easier to terminate. If a parent refuses to agree to the Guardianship and an Evidentiary Hearing (similar to a trial) is held and the parent is found to be unfit, then an involuntary Guardianship may be awarded to the person (usually a close relative) applying for the Guardianship. Terminating an involuntary Guardianship can be difficult and could be impossible to get rid of based on the circumstances. The minor child at issue must be a resident of the State of Nevada for at least six months. It is very important to have legal representation for Minor Guardianship cases, as making the wrong choices might result in a permanent Guardianship for the remainder of a child’s minority.

Contact An Attorney Today!

or call us now at | 702-384-9664